1. Most days I listen to CBC Radio 2 as I drive. My son Malcolm calls it ‘Smart Radio’… in a slightly derogatory tone. I like the commercial free sounds of a wide variety of music. As I was listening to J.S. Bach’s Oboe Concerto in D minor, I was moved to tears. Why does music have the ability to wrench us, bring us to our knees? Have a listen yourself…
2. Backyard movies on a hot summer night with friends, popcorn, chocolate covered almonds and cozy blankets are fun, even if the movie choices are less than what you thought you had chosen. Has anyone noticed how hard it is to find a creatively well done family friendly movie? Sexual innuendo does not go over the heads of teenagers…
3. Writing is a mysterious thing. Poetry can be elusive… especially when it comes to working with it to make it better. I couldn’t walk this road of developing as a poet without others reaching out their hands to me. I am thankful to many, including my neighbour and poet who has had me in to read to one another a couple of times. I could sit at her feet and listen to her read for hours. Wonderful words read with a soothing voice.
4. The dog hears my every move in the house, no matter how early I wake up or how quietly I sneak around, Emmy sniffs at the bottom of Malcolm’s door, crying to be released. This morning I ignored her… craving some alone time… without the dog… even for a few minutes.
5. Spent some time at a book signing. My friends Donna Lowe and Kimberley Parker have been PUBLISHED! Every writer’s dream… well, mine anyway. Their vision, hard work, determination and huge faith has resulted in their beautiful book being picked up by a publisher! Wow! You go girls! I purchased two copies and had them signed. Proof that I knew them ‘when’… You can check out their book Radical Love on their website, and order your copy online at Revival Nation, Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com.
6. Malcolm let me use his camera last evening when we spent a couple of hours on the lake for a sunset cruise. He recently bought a digital SLR. A Nikon. Saved up for it. The sound of the shutter is a beautiful thing. The pictures Malcolm takes with the camera are really good, and I’ve posted some here today. I’m excited that he is discovering and exercising his creativity.
7. Did you know that Tim Hortons is now doing ice cream? Went last night and indulged in the Cold Stone Dairy ‘love it’ size selection of chocolate and key-lime with coconut… yummy. I found my treat to be a perfect blend of chewiness and melt on your tongue consistency. Good flavour, generous portions, and the price, well, not much different than a medium DQ Blizzard, and there’s no comparison to either taste or quality. And according to the Wall Street Journal, Timmy’s addition of ice cream may also be good for business.
8. A fun game of ‘Apples to Apples’ with our good friends tonight. A little wine for the stomach’s sake, and cheese because cheese is yummy. Couldn’t tell you who won, but we were all laughing as we slapped at the mosquitoes in the dusk of the warm summer evening. What, mosquitoes in Kelowna… yeppers… this year there are!!!
9. This week I’m going to the Caravan Theatre with Claire… her birthday treat to me! Can’t wait. Have never been in the summer, but their winter productions are awesome.
10. On Sunday afternoon I began to read my newest book purchase, ‘The Practice of the Presence of God”… it’s been on my reading list for a very long time, and now I have it! I’m excited to know how a 17th Century Carmelite called Brother Lawrence grew to know God in an earthy, humble, every detail of his life kind of way… stay tuned.
11. I’m eyelash challenged, while Bob, Graeme, Malcolm and Claire are blessed with long, dark, curly wonders on their eyes. Drew Barrymore recently promised me “the biggest, boldest lashes of my life”. So, I bought her promise and bought some ‘Covergirl Lashblast’… I don’t see any difference, do you see any difference. Hey, are those lashes real?… really???
It’s 9:36 am and Bob and Emmy just came downstairs. Malcolm soon followed. Claire is stirring upstairs. Quiet time’s done for now and with it the random ramble.
Gonna go drink some hot sweet java. Talk soon,