32. blue and red spinnakers on distant sail racers
33. light and shadow playing in the trees
34. Japanese paper thin petals of Oriental Poppy
35. hearing yes to your question
36. discussing new ways to be healthy
37. having your Dad say he’s proud… of you
39. being OK with being who you are
40. friends who text me at 6 am… because they are up praying
41. giant peaches and retro beach towns
42. ducks that eat from my fingers
43. sunshine over soccer pitch
44. caramel eyes and velvet ears of Emmy dog
45. fresh strawberries over greens
46. eating together at the big table
47. the sound of the dishwasher running
48. coffee date with my husband
49. a lifetime of books, how the old ones smell
It’s almost deafening and definitely distracting, the
flock of sparrows munching with enthusiasm
on a large weed in the last wild corner of the garden.
I sit on the porch with my journal and coffee, listening.
Graeme’s feeders are full
but the sparrows find the weeds more to their taste,
darting into the cedar hedge at any perceived danger,
then back to gorge themselves at their breakfast buffet.
Beside me, bumble bees gather orange dust with a low drone
A sudden movement along the fence top
and the dog leaps up to dash after a squirrel
who is gone in a flash, leaving the dog panting after it’s scent.
A Flicker surveys all from the top of the Oak tree as
the sparrows scatter in disgust. And I wonder,
how could I have presumed that this abundant kingdom
would ever offer me solitude